- List 10 common tools found in a well-equipped farm shop and explain how to safely use each one.
- Do the following:
Explain how power is produced or transferred in a:
- List ten safety devices in a well-equipped farm shop and explain the function of each.
- Demonstrate proper safety apparel and equipment to be worn and used when operating a grinder, wire-brush wheel, welder, or drill.
- Draw a plan showing a well-equipped farm shop. Point out mandatory safety devices and features in the shop.
Do TWO of the following:
- Diesel engine
- Hydraulic system
- Transmission or any other power system.
Do ONE of the following:
- Replace the handle on any tool found on the farm.
- Build a tool rack with storage for nails, bolts, nuts, and washers.
- Properly grind the mushroom head off of a chisel or punch.
- Correctly grind or file a screwdriver tip.
Make a list of safety precautions for adjustments or repairs you make for requirement 5. Do ONE of the following:
- Make the necessary adjustments to ready a piece of farm equipment or machinery for field operation.
- Choose a piece of farm machinery or equipment. Check all nuts, bolts, and screws. Tighten any that are loose. Replace those that are missing, worn, or damaged.
- Repair broken or warn farm machinery or equipment.
Visit an implement dealer. Interview the dealer technician or service manager for hints on good preventive maintenance. Ask why it is important. What are the costs? What happens that causes wear or damage? Report what you discovered. Explain each step in ONE of the following maintenance procedures:
- On an engine-powered machine: grease all fittings, change oil and oil filter, clean air cleaner, flush cooling system, clean radiator fins, and replace diesel fuel filters.
- With any farm machine, do a daily service check for field use. (Do things needed for best field performance.)
- Prepare any farm machine for winter storage.
- Tightening hydraulic fittings
- Servicing spark plugs
- Lubricating a clutch-release bearing
- Cleaning a work piece with a wire-brush wheel.