- Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that could occur while hiking, including hypothermia, heatstroke, heat exhaustion, frostbite, dehydration, sunburn, insect stings, tick bites, snakebite, blisters, and hyperventilation.
- Explain and show, where possible, the main points of good hiking practices.
- Make a written plan for a 10-mile hike. Including map routes, a clothing and equipment list, and a list of things for a trail lunch.
- Take five hikes, each on a different day, and each of at least ten continuous miles.
- Take a hike of 20 continuous miles in 1 day.
- After each hike, write a short report of your experience. Give dates and descriptions of routes covered, weather, and any interesting things you saw.