Do the following:
- Describe how aviation has affected our world.
- Define "aircraft". Describe some kinds of aircraft in use today.
- List at least 10 uses of aircraft.
Show how the control surfaces of an airplane are used for takeoff, straight climb, level turn, climbing turn, descending turn, straight descent, and landing. Identify the following aircraft instruments and explain the purposes of each: attitude indicator, altimeter, airspeed indicator, compass, turn and bank indicator, tachometer, oil pressure gauge, and temperature gauge. Explain the differences in the operation of piston, turbojet, turboprop, and turbofan engines. Tell six rules of safety to follow around airplanes and airports. Do TWO of the following:
- Point out on a model plane the forces that act on an airplane in flight.
- Applying Bernoulli's Principle, explain how an airfoil generates lift, how the primary control surfaces (ailerons, elevator, and rudder) affect the aircraft's altitude, and how a propeller produces thrust.
- Take a flight in an aircraft. Record the date, place, type of aircraft, duration of flight, and your impressions of the flight.
- On a map mark a route for an imaginary trip of at least 3,000 miles. Start from the commercial airport nearest your home. Travel three or more different airlines. From timetables, decide from when you will get to and leave from all connecting points.
- Visit a modern airport. After the visit tell how the facilities are used.
- Under supervision, perform a preflight inspection of a light plane.
- Learn how to read an aeronautical chart. Measure a true course on the chart. Correct it for magnetic variation, compass deviation, and wind drift. Arrive at a compass heading.
- Build and fly a fuel-driven model airplane. Describe safety rules for building and flying model airplanes. Tell safety rules for use of glue, dope, paint, and plastics.
- Find out what job opportunities there are in aviation. Describe the qualifications and working conditions on one job in which you are interested. Tell what it offers for reaching your goal in life.