- Collect samples of five different kinds of leather. Learn the chief characteristics and best uses of each.
- Make an article of leather which uses at least four of the following:
Recondition or show that you can take proper care of leather shoes or leather articles such as hiking boots or a baseball glove. Do ONE of the following:
- Transfer of a cutting pattern or tooling design.
- Cutting leather
- Decoration of leather by tooling or stamping.
- Applying dye and/or finish to the project.
- Punching holes
- Lacing or stitching
- Learn how to tan, cure, and finish leather.
- Tan or cure the skin of a small animal.
- Plait or braid an article of leather. Make a terminal Turk's head.
- Visit a leather shop, tannery, saddle shop, or a leather goods manufacturer. Find out how they use leather and report what you learned.