- Sing or play a simple song or hymn picked by your counselor using good technique, phrasing, tone, rhythm, and dynamics. Read all the signs and terms of the score.
- Name the four general groups of musical instruments. Tell how you get tones from one instrument in each group.
- Do TWO of the following:
Do ONE of the following:
- Go to a classical or semiclassical musical performance; or listen to 3 hours of such programs on radio, television, tapes, records, compact discs, or videos. Report what you heard. Name the composers, artists, and conductors. Know the story of any program music or opera you heard. Talk over how you feel about the music.
- Outline the development of music in the United States. Show that you know the lives and works of five better-known American composers and musical artists.
- Serve for 6 months as a member of a school, church, Scout unit, or other local musical organization; or perform as a soloist in public six times.
- Teach three songs to a group of people. Lead them in singing the songs. Use proper hand motions.
- Compose and write the score for a piece of music 12 measures or more.
- Make a primitive instrument. Learn to play it.
- Catalog your own or your family collection of 12 or more tapes, records, or compact discs. Show how to handle and store them.