- Name three ways in which plants are important to animals.
- Name three ways in which animals are important to plants.
- Explain the term "food chain." Give an example of a four-step land food chain and a four-step water food chain.
- Do all the requirements in FIVE of the following fields:
- In the field, identify eight species of birds.
- Make and set out a birdhouse; OR a feeding station; OR a birdbath. List what birds used it during 1 month.
- In the field, identify three species of wild mammals.
- Make plaster casts of the tracks of a wild mammal.
Reptiles or Amphibians
- Show that you can recognize the poisonous snakes in your area. Identify in the field three species of reptiles or amphibians.
- Recognize one species of toad or frog by voice; OR identify one reptile or amphibian by eggs, den, burrow or other signs.
Insects or Spiders
- Collect, mount, and label 10 species of insects or spiders.
- Hatch an insect from the pupa or cocoon; OR hatch adults from nymphs; OR keep larvae until they form pupae or cocoons; OR keep a colony of ants or bees through one season.
- Catch and identify two species of fish.
- Collect four kinds of animal food eaten by fish in the wild.
Mollusks and Crustaceans
- Identify five species of mollusks and crustaceans.
- Collect, mount, and label six shells.
- In the field, identify 15 species of wild plants.
- Collect and label seeds of six plants; OR the leaves of 12 plants.
Soils and Rocks
Do ONE of the following:
- Collect and identify soils found in different layers of a soil profile.
- Collect and identify five different types of rocks from your area..
- Raise tadpoles from eggs; OR raise adults from tadpoles; OR keep and adult reptile so it stays healthy for 1 month.
- Develop a simple aquarium with fish and plant life. Keep it so that they stay healthy for 1 month.
- Develop an aquarium. Keep in it two species of mollusks or crustaceans so that they stay healthy for 1 month.
- Build a terrarium with three species of plants. Keep it so the plants stay healthy for 1 month.
- Grow seeds for 1 month in two kinds of soil. Describe difference in rate of growth.